Monday, November 25, 2013

Being Sick and, French?

Hello everyone,
So the week before I didn’t post anything because I had a really bad cold, so I wasn’t feeling up to it, and I wasn’t doing anything particularly interesting other than coughing and feeling miserable. As such, no post for two weeks ago.

Last week, however, I was well enough to go to four days of class. I missed Monday because I still felt under the weather, which was bad because last week we had our second set of big exams. Here at PKU, we have three sets of exams for hanyu and kouyu classes; one major exam near the beginning of the semester, another set during the middle, and then finals. If you get sick and miss the first or second set of major exams, you can fill out a form explaining why you were absent, hand it in for the dean of students to approve, and if approved, you have to then pay 50 yuan to take the exam you missed. This is only applicable for the first two sets of exams, so if you miss the final exams for some reason, you can’t take them at a later date. That was an interesting policy to learn about.

Also everyone is getting sick here, so I wasn’t the only one from my class who missed an exam. And because I had to figure out how to reschedule the kouyu test, and had a test on Friday to prepare for, I wasn’t really doing anything very interesting that would be worthy of a blog post. As such, I’m sorry about not keeping you up to date.

I do have one funny story to tell you though. Last Thursday, I went to a small canteen near my dorm to buy dinner. They have really good food, and I really wanted to eat scrambled eggs with tomatoes. While I was waiting for my food (they cook it right in front of you after they take your order, this place is a “hole in the wall” kind of canteen), I heard the staff talking. And I understood what they were saying. They were speaking rather hushed, but I could still hear fairly well. Basically, they were saying this:

“Where do you think she’s from?”

“France, probably France.”

“Nah, she’s definitely from England, she’s so pale.”

“Maybe she’s from America?”

“No, her accent sounds British.”

And after a few minutes of this, the main woman in charge very loudly “Hey! What country are you from?!” Once I told her I was from the USA, she said “Oh really? You have such pretty skin. Really!” that last sentence kind of threw me off, but it’s always nice to get a compliment.

The next day though, someone else mistook me for a French person. When I was in the elevator heading to class, a student joined me and started speaking to me in French. I told him I don’t know how to speak French, and then he said he thought I was another French girl here at the dorm who always greets him in French.

So in short, people seem to think I’m French, and I apparently have a doppelganger living somewhere in my building. I would have expected most people to assume I’m German, considering I hang out with a lot of Germans, and because there are so many here, particularly at the university, but no, people first think I’m French. Who knew?

Well, I’ve got some homework, and I’m planning on doing some interesting things this weekend, so my post this weekend should be a bit more interesting. Again, I’m sorry about falling behind on keeping you up to date, but sometimes you just get bad, really boring weeks.


Vive la France!

1 comment:

  1. So Aunt Terry is in Paris now and recently posted a picture of the Eiffel Tower on her FB page :)

    ReplyDelete